Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Triathlon at Rigby Lake ...


 Oh what a day...a day I will not quickly forget!  The day I completed the Triathlon at Rigby Lake.  The day started by me singing the National Anthem.  It was one of the best things I could have done.  It calmed my nerves, helped me focus on something else besides what I had gotten myself into and made me really enjoy my talents.  It was fun because I got a lot of comments out on the course while competing and that gave me several added bonuses when I needed them!

After that, the Olympic distance started.  I was watching them swim, stretching out, hanging out with my kids/parents and couldn't believe what was happening!  My husband came over, the athletes started getting out of the water and I just became slightly overwhelmed, started crying and got a big huge hug and a encouraging pep talk from my husband.  Boy did I need that.  Wet suit on, gel taken and ready to get in the water to warm up a bit.


 First picture with my husband and his 2 brothers.  It was fun to have so many people from our family doing the triathlon together!  The water was warm and the sun was shining...let's get this party started!  We were called over to the starting point.  I was beyond nervous for the swim.  The course was set up in such a way that I couldn't even see the first buoy because it was behind alittle island.  I couldn't decide where I wanted to be in the mass of people and boy did I chose wrong.  I should have started WAY further back than I did.  I got kicked, hit so hard in the head that I got dunked and could NOT find my groove.  The first half of the swim I was doing anything possible to go forward.  I couldn't get my breath, I couldn't keep my stroke going, nothing.  It was super frustrating.  I rounded the first buoy and wanted to call over the kayak to come get me...I was DONE.  I gave myself a little pep talk and decided it was now or never.  I started my front crawling and finished the race strong.  Come to find out, the swim was 1100 yards instead of the 800 yards I was planning on.  No wonder it felt like I was in there forever!

 I have never been so excited to be on my feet in the sand!  My chip time for my swim was 27:31.  Not bad for my first 1100 yard swim and not swimming a real good steady race.  I'll take it!

Got into transition, got my headband on, my helmet on, my shoes and socks on and was off on my new bike "Daisy".  I LOVED the bike.  Every minute.  I was cheering people on, only got passed by 2 people and just loved the feeling of moving forward at a quick pace :).  I kept telling myself I was doing a triathlon and to enjoy every minute!  The beautiful countryside scenery helped with that too. I averaged 18 mph and my bike split time was 42:28.  Mostly because I walked once I dismounted my bike taking it into the transition area.  I was tired and didn't think I was 'racing' for anything but myself.



Off to the run. We go once around the lake which was 1.1 miles of the 5K and that lap was nice.  I was getting into a nice groove and felt very good with where I was at physically.  I didn't know how much I had left to give so I didn't go as fast as I probably could have, but I gave it a good go. On my way out of the lake, which then turns into an out and back, I saw my little cheering section consisting of my children and parents and it was so much fun to have them cheering for me!  Loved it!
My husband ran back and ran with me for the last quarter mile or so and that was so fun.  I loved doing something 'with' him and knowing he was out on the course too.  My run time was 32:57.  It was a hot run but nice to have the out and back to see all the people ahead of me and cheer each other on.

I was over come with emotion as I came into the Finish Line.  I had done what I set out to do.  I had accomplished what last year I didn't know was possible.  I didn't want it to be over.  I wasn't ready but I was all at the same time.  I got my medal, and my husband surprised me with a necklace and a huge hug!  I still get all emotional when I think about it.  I couldn't have asked for a better race day...except maybe a shorter swim.  

It was fun to do it with so many people that I love and knew.  It was amazing to feel like a true triathlete with the TriTats our race did (I didn't want to wash them off).  It was amazing to be one of the people who was doing the race instead of just watching.  It was just amazing!!!


And to top off the awesomeness ... I ended up on the podium for my age group!  I got 3rd place with a final chip time of 1:46.  All 4 of us Williams got on the podium in our age groups too....SO COOL!

 

Will I do another one?  Absolutely!!!  This year, no way!?!  I have a lot of work to do on my swim, but you can bet I will be putting in the time and effort.  I have been bitten by the triathlon bug!





1 comment: